Monday, December 5, 2011

What's Happening in Room 10- A picture overload and a writing freebie!

It's Monday. It's 7:55pm. I feel like I usually do on Thursdays at this time! I'm beat already!

BUT... I wanted to show you what we did today with the Dream Snow freebie I shared this weekend. I already explained how I was going to do the lesson in the earlier blog post and my brain is just too tired right now to re-explain... sorry to be a slacker! You can check out my plan and the freebie by clicking the link above.

I only took a picture of my sample. But here it is! My kiddos loved this activity and tried so hard to keep their animal a secret from everyone else. One huddled behind my desk drawing a snake for about 30 minutes!

Here are my clues and my snow covered animal... can you predict what might be under the snow?

Then you lift the transparency to check. Did you get it right? :)

Here's one of my kiddos painting his animal... shhh... it's a bear in a den!
Here's a picture of what we did last week. I came across a great activity for "There Was an Old Lady Who..." books on Pinterest and we replicated it with the book There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow. We wrote "If I was a cold lady (or man!), I would swallow ___". Then they made that item and put it in his/her mouth. They loved it! I pulled out some cotton balls (and borrowed a few from my teacher friends!) and we stretched those and glued them down for some extra fluffy fun.


Click the picture below to download our writing paper, head, and hat!And, last, I wanted to leave you with a peek of our Christmas tree in our room! Due to energy policy #2875, which I'm sure is very important or something like that, we can't have any "extra" things plugged in which means, no Christmas lights. BUT I got these battery operated LED lights on clearance two years ago and it makes my heart happy to have them on during the month of December!

Can you see our "stockings" in the window behind? We made those this morning! And, I have personalized ornaments for my kiddos on the tree too. I make them every year. This year I got the light shaped ornaments at the Dollar Tree for 2/$1.00! One of my sweeties got the candy cane, which was left from last year, because I ran out of light bulb ornaments! She was so tickled to get the "one special ornament"!

19 comments:

  1. Im going to use both of these activities in January. The transparency and the snow is especially adorable. Thanks for making my classroom cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they are a little January-ish! I just can't resist a good project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the snow paintings on transparency!and the personalized ornaments can't wait to do these!!

    TheResource(ful)Room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE Dream Snow!!!! Now I have a good idea of what you were planning! Sometimes I just need a visual! :) Thanks for sharing!!

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those ideas! I am excited to use these ideas in January when we come back! I can't believe you can't have plugged in lights!!! I hang Halloween and Christmas lights and would be SO sad if I couldn't! Glad you were able to find some battery operated one who Christmas wouldn't be ruined! :) (ok just a little exaggeration) :)
    Thanks for sharing!
    Stacee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these ideas! Major bummer that my school library doesn't have either book. Here's hoping for Amazon gift cards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey girl! I can't get your email to come up on my computer...so I am contacting you through here...(You can delete this!) I just purchased your powerpoint of Christmas Around the World but didn't include my email! Oops!! It's rebasutton@gmail.com (Rebecca Sutton)
    Sorry about this!
    Rebecca
    Teaching First

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE both of these activities, especially the Dream Snow one. They're adorable and seem like so much fun! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Dream Snow idea! What type of paint did you use? I tried a sample today with tempra paint, but I didn't have a transparency, so I used a sheet protector instead. Once the paint was dry it just fell right off! Wasn't sure if it was the paint or the sheet protector that was the problem. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Christy! I used tempera paint on a transparency. I would try that instead if you have them available!

    :)
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the quick response. When I got to school I sent out an SOS for some transparencies and my awesome co-workers hooked me up with plenty! I tried it out and it worked like a charm. I am so excited to do this with my students. I am going to bind it into a class book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a former art teacher and I did Dream Snow paintings with 3rd grade. I'm teaching kinder now and read the book to them, but never thought about using it for prediction. Love it! I can't imagine how you managed to keep the kids from seeing each others work though. Can you share?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lynna- they were so cute about keeping their picture a secret! We have mini-offices (which are file folders laminated together) and they put those up. One kid asked if he could go behind my desk... he folded himself in UNDER my desk so he had the ultimate privacy!

    :)
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this idea! I tried it with Prang Tempra paint, but it all flaked off my transparencies. I hope my acrylic paint works! I wonder if the brand of paint matters. I was using copy transperencies. I wonder if that matters. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used Crayola brand tempera paint and had no troubles. Hopefully the acrylic will work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm using acrylic for mine, I had the same thought about the paint flaking off!! Thanks you Christina for your awesome creativity and of course always sharing!!! I'm amazed with all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your Old Lady snow idea! I am going to blog about it. Already Pinned! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saved all your wonderful ideas to use in January in my Gr. 2/3 combined classroom. This idea was a hit and the students were so cute as they hid their drawings and their clues from each other! Thanks for being such a wonderful, willing to share kind of teacher. Check them out @
    http://sherry-matheson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just did this writing activity with the 2nd grade class I subbed for!! They turned out so cute!!

    Thanks for sharing!!

    Miss J
    Smiles, Crayons, and Endless Stories

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...