Sunday, July 22, 2012

Focus Wall Freebies!

Hi friends!

I have a busy day of laundry, groceries, and cutting out laminating ahead of me and wanted to hop on and show you my newest freebie before getting started on my "to dos".

One of the things I'm super excited about bringing back to my classroom is an ELA Focus Wall.  Teaching two grade levels for the past two years made it difficult to use one due to differing spelling words and ELA skills each week.  So, I had gotten away from a focus wall... but I am SO excited to use one again this year with my 3rd graders.

If you don't use a focus wall, here are some of the reasons why you should... in my humble opinion...
*Everything you are studying for the week is visible to your students
*Your students will come to check and refer to the focus wall during the week (which is mega cool!)
*The focus wall is a fabulous way to immerse your students in ELA vocabulary... words like genre, specific grammar and comprehension skills... those things are explicitly in front of them- and you'll use that high level vocabulary more too with the focus wall there
*It's a great anchor to help your students connect and organize their learning
*Talk about explicit teaching!  A focus wall really helps you "lay it all out there" for your students!

Here's a picture of my old focus wall when I just taught 2nd grade- this one is about three years old:

And here is my new, improved 3rd grade-i-fied focus wall...

Each week the story title, grammar skill, genre, author's purpose, and comprehension strategy changed.  We added spelling and vocabulary words and, with the vocab, I always had students put them in ABC order... which is totally becoming a lost skill, I feel.

So, since I'm going all out with the colors and buntings, I made some new focus wall signs to share with you!  I'll be working on updating the genre, author's purpose, and comprehension strategy signs later on too so that all of my fonts are the same.

Anywho, you can click the picture below to head over to my TpT store to check them out.  This was a free file, but I had lots of requests to add more cards.  The set now has 14 cards and is available for purchase at my shop for just $2.00. 


19 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing, these look great. I just left you some feedback on TPT. My focus walls has been in the need of a redo and these might just do the trick.

    ✰ Stacy

    Simpson Superstars

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm...I don't have a focus wall, and now I'm thinking I need to get one...let the planning begin!
    :)

    Blessings of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, Love, Love! I left you a comment on facebook as well! These are just perfect and I can't wait to start using them. I never would have thought about putting it all on one wall and organized for them! Super excited!!!

    Nicole
    A Frenzy of Fun in 1st Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for making this and sharing! This will work perfectly in my classroom this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so sweet for sharing. They are lovely. I love the bright colors.

    ✣ Miss Nelson✣
    Miss Nelson’s Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this great idea! I now have a plan for my bulletin boards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made some too! I really like yours! I too am bringing it back. I did one two years ago but not last year. Focus walls are so important!

    Tonya
    Tonya’s Treats for Teachers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Focus wall - good idea...
    Thanks for sharing
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  9. These turned out really awesome! Your focus wall looks great. I definitely need to think about putting one of these up this year. Thanks for sharing, you always have awesome ideas!! :)

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing!
    Patti
    pattib203@yahoo.com
    Primary Pizzazz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for so much for sharing!! I am redoing my focus wall this year.

    Elissa
    http://www.hardworkingteachingmomma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sooooo in need of a focus wall like this. Thanks for sharing...

    ✿ Judith
    teaching with J

    ReplyDelete
  13. So exciting! Do you happen to have a math focus wall too? Didn't notice one on TPT and thought I'd ask.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect! I love them!!
    ~Natalie
    http://queenbeeminneola.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a gret job! I love them! I've never used a focus wall before, but now I will! Thank you!

    Mary
    Teaching Special Kids

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been MIA from here for a while... summer brain! I am excited to see your switch to third grade. I love following your blog and webpage and I am switching from 1 to 4 this year in a new district with a VERY high ELL population. I look forward to still being able to follow you and see what you are doing! YEA!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your idea and have already set it up :)
    Have you ever created a focus wall for math?

    Patti
    One Class, One Sound

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I love these! They go perfect with my room decor and I already have them up on my Focus Wall! Is it possible to make me a matching header that says High Frequency Words? It would be great to have that one last matching piece. Let me know if you have time. Thanks so much!
    debramorga@att.net

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...